Re: Great Work!

On Tue, Apr 03, 2001 at 12:35:20PM -0300, Rogerio Brito wrote:
> On Apr 02 2001, Bart Szyszka wrote:
> > What processor/memory speeds are you guys using? I'm on a P233 w/ 128MB
> > RAM and I'm not satisfied with Konqueror's speed.
>
> 	Using a Pentium MMX 200MHz overclocked to 250MHz with 64MB,
> 	Konqueror (and KDE in general) is a bit slow. The problem seems to
> 	be the memory needs of KDE, which unfortunately are quite high for
> 	my computer. :-(
> 	This is, BTW, the same problem with Mozilla (and StarOffice also).

Just For The Record.  (tm).

On my machine, a fully started KDE (which takes 30 seconds but I do it once
a day, if at all, so I don't care) including a couple Konqueror windows
eats just about as much memory as *TWO* Netscape windows, without all the
fluff around them.

So, yes, KDE is slow to start up, but that's because LOTS of stuff is being
done at startup time that (sometimes) doesn't have anything to do with KDE
itself. e.g. scanning for Netscape plugins, pre-loading X libraries, etc.

Start Konqueror under another WM, e.g. icewm (it needs to start up kdeinit,
so the first time will be slower) and notice its mem requirements then.

--
" ...screams erupted at a Seattle hotel where Microsoft founder Bill Gates
was addressing an education and technology conference. (...)"