Re: xdmcp with kdm

On Monday 19 March 2001 17:35, Philippe A. Bouchard wrote:

> > > Maybe by configuration of /etc/X11/kdm/Xservers (for forced entries),
> >
> > that has nothing to do with xdmcp.
> >
> > > or /etc/X11/kdm/Xaccess ?
> >
> > this actually has something to do with it.
> > but first make sure, that you enabled xdmcp at all (no 'requestPort: 0'
> > in xdm-config).
> >
> > greetings
>
> I know the chooser is not working at all under KDE. Someone should take a
> look at this.

The chooser works when you issue an indirect query:

X -indirect <hostname> :1

You also need to modify /etc/X11/xdm/Xaccess or /etc/X11/kdm/Xaccess
(depending on the dist.) to allow indirect and direct queries and enable the
chooser. This must be done on all hosts which you would like to remotely
access.

*	<--- For direct/broadcast queries (allow ALL hosts)
*	CHOOSER BROADCAST          <-- For indirect queries (allow ALL hosts)

Also, make sure you do not have a line in /etc/X11/xdm/xdm-config or
/etc/X11/kdm/xdm-config which reads:

DisplayManager.*.authorize:    true

Either remove this line or change it to false. Setting this to false will
allow hosts to connect to any display, other than :0. MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1
authentication is disabled.

Broadcasts are sent out on the network when the X Display Manager is loaded.
In turn, each host contains a dynamic list of all available hosts. An
indirect query to ANY host allowing indirect queries, even localhost, will
display all currently available X clients in the chooser.

The Xservers config file only starts local X servers and is not used for
remote client connections.

Scott