Re: pilot/visor integration with kde

On Mon, 19 Mar 2001, David Bishop wrote:
> Having just recieved a Handspring Visor for graduation, I was of course eager
> to try it out with linux :-)  However, there seems to be a slight derth of
> information on how to integrate a palm-like device with KDE.  Most sections
> of the manual that have to do with syncing a visor with
> [korganizer|abbrowser|kab] have the ever popular "This Section Isn't Here
> Yet."  So, what is your collective experience with the different apps out
> there?  KPilot seems to be buggy, in that it always trys to start up two
> copies, and will only "sync" once before I have to close it and start it up
> again.  That also limits it usefullness in transfering programs/ebooks over
> to the visor.  Oh, and if I leave kpilot-daemon running in the background, it
> continually respawns (will never shut down the window).  However, it has
> "conduits" to korganizer for the to-do list and the appointments.  j-pilot
> seems to be much more stable and featureful, however, it's a gtk app (looks
> ugly), doesn't have conduits to korganizer or anyother kde app for that
> matter, and has it's own set of issues.  I'd really hate to have to use
> pilot-xfer for stuff that should be easy click->install.
>
> Whew.  Didn't mean for that to turn into a rant, and I'm impressed with how
> far along this stuff has come already.  However (you saw that coming, didn't
> you?) does anyone have experience with all of these issues, and if so, can
> you point me to a place where I can get an app that (hopefully, doesn't need
> to do all of this):
>
> 1. Runs in the background and monitors for me pushing the hotsync button

kpilot will run in the background and listen for the hotsync button, but if
you're using USB, when the module unloads, the deamon looses contact.

I've got kpilot working this way for my daughter Palm Pro with a serial cradle.
I don't believe that it can work with USB. You will need to use a serial cradle
for your visor if you want kpilot to work in this mode.

I use jpilot for my Visor because it DOES reconise teh USB port that comes and
goes. I jsut need to press the hotsync button and then sync on jpilot.

 > 2. Has conduits to
korganizer and abbrowser or kab (which is better  > supported?)

Don't know much about setting up conduits, sorry.

> 3. Isn't crash happy

I've never seen jpilot crash, but I've only used it for a few weeks. As for
kpilot, I only just set it up for my daughter last night, so I have little
experience with it.

> 4. Is a kde app
> 5. Makes it really easy to install new stuff

jpilot has a fairly easy install tool built-in. It works for me.

> And while this isn't the appropriate forum, has anyone heard tale of adding
> functionality in konqueror to recognize .prb and .prc files, and load them
> automatically after being clicked (with confirmation, of course)?  It would
> take a kpart's thingamajig from kpilot, but should be doable.  If there has
> already been noise about that, I will wait patiently, otherwise I'll file a
> wishlist bug.
>
> Thanks for any ideas/insight you have.  If this is too off-topic for
> debian-kde, please reply to me off-list.  Thank you!
>
> D.A.Bishop
>
> P.S. I'm running sid, if that affects my options for programs. Thanks again.

That's all I know. I'll let you know if I find out different. Everyone feel
free to correct me.

Cheers,

	John Gay