freetype - we may not be out of the woods yet

I have a 32MB Diamond Viper V770 (Riva TNT 2) video card with the
Debianized 0.9.767 drivers and Debian upgraded nightly from unstable.
(kdelibs3 is 2.1.0.1-5 and libqt2-gl is 2.3.0-final-1.)

Since the new nvidia driver .debs came out, I've been successfuly using AA
without problems (after downgrading libfreetype6 as suggested on this list.)

Today I read that the latest freetype fixes the problems reported before
so I unheld it and let it upgrade.  I rebooted for good measure.  This is
what happens now:

1.  new libfreetype6 and login to KDE via KDM
Doesn't work.  Grey Screen of Death.  If however I go to a console and run
for instance

konqueror -display localhost:0.0 &

and then switch back to vt7, it does come up and does seem to be
antialised.  By manually running kwin, kdesktop, dcopserver etc in the
same way.  I can get a complete KDE session back.

2.  new libfreetype6 and login from console via startx
Works as aspected.

3.  Downgrade to known safe libfreetype6 and login via KDM
works as expected.

4.  Downgrade to known safe libfreetype6 and login via startx
works as expected.

This leads me to believe libfreetype6 itself may not be the problem but
something KDM does or doesn't do.

--
Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar@debian.org>