Re: kde startup problem

On Mon, Mar 12, 2001 at 11:27:14PM -0700, rob@myinternetplace.net wrote:

> Upon using kdm to start up kde, I get the blue screen which shows me
> each service starting up in order, and after the startup sound plays,
> I get a grey screen and a mouse cursor.  That is all that appears.  It
> is rather amazing.
>
> I kill kdm, log in, and run startx.  Due to my . files, I get X up,
> but running twm.  Then I move to one of the base xterms, 'killall twm'
> and then start up kde, with the command
>
> bash-2.04$ kde2
>
> Was that the right thing to do?
>
> Here is where it gets interesting.....  My notes will be set off by
> ***
>
> bash-2.04$ kde2
> WARNING: library=artsd.la: No file names artsd.la found in paths.
>
> ***
> bash-2.04$ dpkg -l | grep arts
> ii  arts           2.1.0-1        Audio library for KDE
> ii  libarts        2.1.0.1-2      aRts Sound system
> ii  libarts-dev    2.1.0.1-2      aRts Sound system (development files)
> ii  libarts-mpegli 2.1.0-1        mpeglib is a mp3 and mpeg I video/audio libr
> bash-2.04$
> bash-2.04$ locate artsd.la
> bash-2.04$ dpkg -S !$
> dpkg -S artsd.la
> dpkg: *artsd.la* not found.
> bash-2.04$
>
> Where do I find artsd.la ??
> ***

you don't...it doesn't exist...it's a WARNING...KDE will always look for
a .la file when running apps...

> kdecore (KLibLoader): WARNING: KLibrary: /usr/lib/libkdecore.so.3: undefined symbol: NP_GetValue
>
> ***
> hrmm....
>
> biffhero-laptop:~# dpkg -S libkdecore.so.3
> kdelibs3: /usr/lib/libkdecore.so.3
> kdelibs3: /usr/lib/libkdecore.so.3.0.0
> biffhero-laptop:~# apt-get install kdelibs3
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> Sorry, kdelibs3 is already the newest version.
> 0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 10  not upgraded.
> biffhero-laptop:~#
> ***

it's a known error..doesn't hurt...already reported.

> kdecore (KLibLoader): WARNING: library=/usr/lib/netscape/plugins-libc6/raclass.zip: file=/usr/lib/netscape/plugins-libc6/raclass.zip: /usr/lib/netscape/plugins-libc6/raclass.zip: invalid ELF header
> Unknown child process 3980 died
> _IceTransmkdir: Owner of /tmp/.ICE-unix should be set to root
>
> ***
> I deleted /tmp/.ICE-unix before I ran kde2
> ***

it's a warning.  the other is the fact that nspluginscan doesn't know how
to deal with .zip files.

> QSocketNotifier: Multiple socket notifiers for same socket 6 and type read

[...]

> Using soundcard 'Sound Fusion CS461x at 0x50100000/0x50000000, irq 11'
> Playing WAVE '/usr/share/sounds/KDE_Startup.wav' : Signed 16-bit Little Endian, Rate 22050 Hz, Mono
>
> ***
> much death.
>
> any clues?
> ***

hmmm...boy this sounds familiar.  I'm almost willing to bet your suffering
from the same problems as everyone has been discussing on this list for a
while now.

try downgrading your libfreetype6 package.

Ivan

--
Ivan E. Moore II