Converting ghostscript.rpm to Debian system

I realise this is a bit Off-topic but, I've got a new laser printer that comes
with a modified ghostscript package as the driver. I have tried alien with a few
things before, but I've always got mixed results from it and don't trust it too
much. As I understand packages, both .debs and .rpms, they are basically tar.gz
with some extra stuff thrown in. Therefore I should be able to un-tar.gz the
ghostscript.rpm and then install everything where Debian expects it on my
Progeny system. I also want to be sure that apt does not replace this
ghostscript with the another version of ghostscript, yet knows that I do have
ghostscript installed for packages that depend on it.

Again, sorry for going O/T, but I figured this list would know the most direct
way to do this.

Cheers,

     John Gay