Re: Subtle differences between konsole and xterm

> If I run xterm (from xfree 4.0.2)(from konsole as it happens) and then
> in the xterm shell I use "less", the HOME and END keys on my keyboard
> jumps to the beginning or end of file respectively.
>

> In konsole, I have to set the keyboard (settings/keyboard) to XFree
> (3.x.x) for it to work - Linux Console and Xfree (4.x.x) do nothing
> with these keys.

Yup, fortunately most Debian programs are consistent with the keyboard
(aka policy; I've had different experience with Slackware), esp. where
Delete (Esc[3~) and <---- (DEL=ascii 127) are concerned.

For me: pressing Insert Delete Home End PgUp PgDn in cat in xterm yields:
^[[2~^[[3~^[[1~^[[4~^[[5~^[[6~

But home and end may also produce
^[[H^[[F^ (linux console according to konsole, the actual console works
the same as the above for me).
or
^[[7~^[[8~ (rxvt)
or
^[OH^[OF

You can edit files like .inputrc to cover all possibilities but that's
just a mess. Also have fun with function keys and mc even has a "learn
keys" facility.

See keyboard definitions in /usr/share/apps/konsole/ for the fine details
in konsole.

I used to be a bit annoyed that you can't specify all characteristics of a
font in konsole, whereas in xterm you can (use -font or .Xresources). But
this was filed as a bug long ago.

Bart