Re: Brain dead question!

On Sun, 17 Dec 2000, Ivan E. Moore II wrote:

> hmmm....   kdm should tag the /etc/X11/Xsession file for all chosen options...
> it seems to be doing it in part at least (I don't use a .xsession file so
> I have no clue)... because it is using the .xsession-errors file for logging.
>
> the Xsession file is supposed to be what actually launches the wm..which is
> what also tags the users .xsession (and other) files...so if it's not tagging
> those files than something whacky is wrong...

It is indeed executing /etc/X11/Xsession for all chosen options, but from
looking at the script my understanding is that $startup (later
$real-startup) has the following value:

kdm option kde2: kde2
kdm option default: $HOME/.xsession
kdm option failsafe: x-terminal-emulator

only $startup is executed: if it's kde2, $HOME/.xsession is not executed.

Now if such a file (`which kde2` or $HOME/.xsession) does not exist it
tries to execute x-window-manager and if that does not exist it executes
x-terminal-emulator and if that does not exist it complains.

Bart