Re: Report from DouDouLinux talk at DebConf

Hi!

Checked this old list from last year.

On Sat, Aug 17, 2013 at 12:22 PM, Andreas Tille <andreas@an3as.eu> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> there was some talk about DouDouLinux at DebConf and I'd like to give a
> short summary of this talk and the discussion afterwards.  It was
> decided to revitalise Debian Junior (possibly under a different name) by
> some Debian developers to help migrating packages from DouDouLinux to
> Debian and by doing so creating some packaging team around it.  Per
> Anderson volunteered to lead this effort.
>
> As a result from the afterwards ad hoc BoF of the people who became
> immediately interested there was some talk about the following things:
>
>   1. Should we find a different name (suggestion was "Debian Kids")

Some work started here already, see https://wiki.debian.org/Kids .

Not a priority at the moment.

>   2. The existing infrastructure was mentioned
>
>        a) static webpage[2]

Nothing done to my knowledge.

>        b) developer oriented Wiki[3]

I have started documenting the current team resources, practices,
and tools.

>        c) Tasks pages[4] (and according metapackages junior-* created
>           from debian-junior source package)

I have added some new tasks and added a few packages to
existing tasks. Not uploaded yet though.

>        d) goplay

It is a nice idea but I could not get this to work, am I doing something
wrong? It just shows an empty search box with no content.

In what task should this go, junior-system?

>   3. People should try (hard) to meet in some sprint - possibly
>      attached to one of the upcoming Mini Debconfs

There will be a nordic Debian meetup at FSCONS in early
november. [0,1] Interested people could join there! It will most
probably not be a sprint but it can be a start just meeting in
person.

In Sweden there has started quite some momentum around
Debian, I figure this meetup can be very cool to attend!

>   4. Report about Debian Jr at DebConf 14

This would be nice. I am not there, if someone wants to report on the
team progress feel free. If you need help to figure out what has
happened so far, ask me!

>   5. Creating a packaging team on Alioth to get packages from
>      DouDouLinux injected into Debian (may be Sponsering of Blends[5]
>      might help)

There is now a team packaging infrastructure (repository and
maintainer list) which should be used for this.

>   6. Creating strong connections to Debian Games

Nothing done here yet.

>   7. Use Debian Junior[4] / Debian Games[6] tasks pages (the later ones
>      are *very* similar to Debian Junior currently basically because
>      they were used as boilerplate in the first place) for attracting
>      outsiders and showing up what we have.
>      You can easily maintain the tasks in SVN:
>
>        Debian-Junior:
>          svn://svn.debian.org/svn/blends/projects/junior/trunk
>          (alternatively: debcheckout debian-junior
>           ... if alioth would not insist on using anonscm)
>        Debian-Games
>          svn://svn.debian.org/svn/blends/projects/games/trunk
>
>      If you want to know some more details about Blends you should
>      have a look into the Blends documentation[7].

I am unsure what "use ... task pages" meant. But the blends
web sentinel is updated with the new repository url (which is
now in git) for junior tasks.

[0] https://wiki.debian.org/DebianEvents/Nordic
[1] http://lists.debian.org/CABYrXSSCbHxvs=rcU80MOZ1P=gee3FkajxhRaQgkfB5AP66Zsg@mail.gmail.com

--