Re: New Debian Jr. metapackages [ftpmaster@ftp-master.debian.org: debian-junior_1.22_amd64.changes ACCEPTED into unstable, unstable]

On Tue, Jul 29, 2014 at 2:23 PM, Andreas Tille <andreas@an3as.eu> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> as you can read below I have recreated the Debian Junior metapackages
> with more recent blends-dec to fix an issue of the location of the
> tasksel file.

Thanks!

> I admit I'm really concerned about the *content* of the metapackages
> which remains unmaintained for several years now despite the declared
> will of people to work on this at last years debconf.

Sadly I have not been able to put down the time I intended when showing
interest. I do think that I will have more time for it soon though.

> We are simply
> loosing and loosing dependencies in the metapackages since packages are
> either removed from Debian or only renamed and the tasks files are not
> adapted.  Since nobody cares for new interesting packages we are
> probably lacking a lot of interesting stuff for kids.
>
> The only thing that happened since last year was some discussion about
> age groups.

Well, there have been a few other discussions but not much work done sadly.

Maybe some kind of outreach should be made to attract new people?

> IMHO it does not make sense to increase our maintenance
> burden with theoretical possibilities if we practically do not even
> manage to maintain this very simple set of metapackages.

I agree. I never interpreted the age group discussion as a primary concern.

> Currently this is the list of packages which is mentioned in the tasks
> but are missing from the (testing) package pool:
>
>   lavaps
>   lletters  (only unstable)
>   platinumarts-sandbox
>   spider
>   xpaint    (only unstable)
>
> So somebody should check for replacements for lavaps,
> platinumarts-sandbox and spider.  Moreover it would be valuable to
> verify the list of bugs of lletters and xpaint whether the RC bugs could
> be fixed or whether there are some equivalent replacements.

I have prepared an NMU for xpaint an uploaded it to DELAYED/10.
Hopefully I have some time to also look into at least lletters soon.

--
Per