Re: Debtags for defining the minimal age that a program can generally be used

Hi Miriam,

On Thu, Sep 12, 2013 at 11:53:42AM +0200, Miriam Ruiz wrote:
> > if somebody would simply tell me.  If you prefer Git please tell me
> > right now and you will have the Debian Jr tasks in Git in 24h.
> >

> SVN is okay, thanks :)

OK.

> I can do that, and it would be a very visible first step, but in my opinion
> that would be like starting to build the house from the roof. In my
> personal vision -that of course is open to debate, if anyone is willing to
> share theirs-, the task of the Kids Team is essentially a classification
> one.

Your vision is fine and I definitely share it.  However, I fail to see
the contradiction.  The tasks can perfectly be used for classification
as well.  So if you want to invent new tasks

   age-0-3
   age-3-6
   age-6-xy

just do so.  The header of such a tasks file would be

Task: Packages fit for <agegroup>
Metapackage: false
# Comment: Metapackage false prevents creation of an according metapackage
#          and just creates the web sentinel pages for your view and
#          design polishing
 The following packages are targeting at <agegroup> according to the
 upstream authors ...

Depends: <pkg>
Remark: This <pkg> fits into <agegroup> because ...
# Comment: Remarks are printed below the package description in web sentinel

> Of course, more tasks can be added, like packaging new things,
> spreading the word, polishing existing packages, and stuff. But what I
> would like to have is some metadata regarding at least a relevant subset of
> the packages in Debian, including relevant information about whether those
> packages are suitable for which kind of kids. That's my main goal.

The Blends concept is all about metadata.  You can even access the Blends
metadata in UDD.

> As a side note, I would like to open a debate about this, if anyone sees it
> differently and wants to share their point of view.

I think be do perfectly agree about the goal but simply do not agree
about the tools to reach the goal. :-)

> So, to achieve that goal, I would like to have somewhere to store the
> metadata needed for this classification. DebTags has always been the most
> obvious possibility. Another option discusses was to add an extension to
> desktop files. The most quick and dirty option would be to set up an sql
> database somewhere and export everything from that. If DebTags are out of
> the equation, any suggestions about this?

As I said:  The DebTags idea is fine in principle but a bit orthogonal
to the tasks design.  It is a nice add on we could have.  In addition to
that it has obviosly some friction from the idea to realisation.  This
could be avoided and once you have your design (preferably via the
suggested tasks) you can take over this to DebTags easily.

I personally would consider an additional SQL database as technical
overkill and you said yourself you want to KISS.

> > So, why not starting right now with something that does not need this
> > level of patience?  I'm honestly trying to find out what people keeps
> > away from working with tasks files.  I'm sure all the people who are
> > *currently* involved are not afraid about simple d/control like text
> > files and working in SVN or Git.  So this can't be the explanation.  For
> > others I might consider a GSoC 2014:  Webdesigner for Blends tasks.
> >

> We certainly could come up with a quick and dirty list of suitable packages
> to set up the tasks, I don't think that should be a problem. The main
> problem is that instead of coming from some debate, consensus or even
> community knowledge, I would just come out from a list of packages that I
> would think appropriate for each age rank.

IMHO having a list to present first would fire up the debate which would
hardly come out of nothing.  (One reason more to get a list *quickly*.)

> I certainly think we can do
> things better, at least if other people want to be involved in this. The
> good point about starting with the tasks is that we would already have
> quick results that might motivate other people.

+1 ( wait ... +10 ;-) )

> In my plan, there were some
> initial stages before defining some subsets of packages for each tasks.
> Like defining the tasks themselves, for example.
>
> Greetings and lost of thanks,

It's a pleasure. :-)

> PS: I'm keeping debtags mailing list CC'ed in this mail, because they might
> be still be interested in some part of this mail, but I'll probably remove
> them from CC in the next ones

... removed.

Kind regards

    Andreas.