Re: Esperanto

Hi,

Le vendredi 31 décembre 2004 à 15:06 -0600, Terry Hancock a écrit :
> While Esperanto is interesting, it has to be appreciated that it is a
> highly Euro-centric language. [...]
> I'm not sure there is actually such a thing as an *intrinsically* simpler
> language to learn.

There is Lojban (lojban.org), which isn't close to any specific natural
language I know, but remains simple to learn. I probably can't describe
it accurately, since I'm not good enough at English, but it's a good
language to express logical statements (it allows to remove almost all
ambiguity) and still is flexible enough to be spoken by humans. For it's
vocabulary, words have been taken from various languages (including non
european ones), and "shaped" into lojbanic words. From that initial
base, there are rules that allow anyone to build new words than can be
understood by all lojban speakers.

It's not much used out there, so there's probably no reason to integrate
it in Debian Jr right now. But as far as I can tell, it's also much
closer to what a culturaly neutral language should be than esperanto
(which has qualities too, that's not my point).

Yusei, lurker.