Re: [Slightly OT] Philosophy (was Re: Replacement for Abiword: LyX? Openoffice?)

> > For one, it helps the child not to be afraid of technology (which is a
> > HUGE boon).
>
> No it doesn't.  How do I know?  *I* wasn't scared of technology,
> and I didn't see a computer until 11th grade, and use one until 12th
> grade (way back in 1980).

I never said it was pre-requisite for the child not to be afraid of
technology. Only that it helps.

> > For another, depending upon /what/ the child has experience with, it can
> > really help out with logic and problem solving. Heck, it can even help
> > teach creativity.
>
> So do coloring books, crayons, toy soldiers, books, etc.  Basically,
> almost everything except TV.

Actually, there's somethings on TV I'd disagree and say they did help in
this area ;-)

I didn't exclude these things, all I said was that it helped.

> Humph.  Yet again, that's just not true.  Did Kernigan, Ritchie,
> Ken Thompson, Bill Joy, RMS, Steve Wozniak, Gary Kildall, shoot,
> *anyone* from the MIT AI Lab, the TMRC, Stanford AI Lab, Linux,
> Alan Cox, Donald Becker, or even the people who designed and program-
> med that PDP-11 or your Atari get exposed to computers at an early
> age?  No.
>
> Thus, early exposure to computer technology is *not* necessary for
> someone to go on later and become a programmer.
>
> In fact, it's quite possible that you'd have become an accomplished
> programmer anyway.

Man, you're twisting my words. Calm down, take a few deep breaths, and go
back and re-read my message. I never said that any of it was a requisite,
only that it could be helpful.

--
Sam Hart
University/Work addr. <hart@physics.arizona.edu>