Re: SPAM IS NOT WELCOME

Hi Donna,

On Sat, Nov 15, 2003 at 10:16:11AM -0600, Donna Jean Glasgow wrote:
> TAKE MY NAME OFF YOUR F*****G SPAM LIST.  I DO NOT WANT IT.

You just swore at a list of free software developers (and users, some of
them minors) whose work is with children.  I'm sure that was not your
intent.

It is likely the spammer used our address (debian-jr@lists.debian.org) in
the "From:" field of their spam.  This is, alas, common practice among
spammers (to falsify the addresses the mail is apparently sent from).
Railing out against the spammer is, therefore, quite ineffective, as 99.9%
of the time your message will not actually go back to the spammer, but
rather to the address the spammer spoofed.  And supposing your email did
actually go back to the spammer, do you think they care?  I'll guarantee
they do not.  The mindset of the spammer is that they don't care how many
people they offend, so long as some of them buy their services, goods, or
fall for their scam.

So in future, if you feel like venting, please direct your fury at a nearby
punching bag (or take action against it constructively -- go to google.com
and search for "fight spam" for some ideas).

Regards,
Ben Armstrong,
Debian Jr. Project Leader
--