Re: Squeak (Was: Ardour, Sound Agnula/DeMuDi)

On Mon, Sep 09, 2002 at 08:24:00AM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
> > I thought, from my review of Squeak mailing list archives, that some time
> > ago the Squeak developers agreed in principle that the Apple fonts should be
> > replaced with free alternatives.  I don't know if any progress has been made
> > on this front.  Would you like to ask?
> While I would like to ask I really do not have the time for further
> investigation into this topic but I would really love if somebody could
> care about it.  On the other hands if we would have packages in non-free
> now we could easily move it to main if fonts would be replaced.  People
> could have a look at it how cute this program is and efforts to make it
> really free could increase.

Or would that just be "accomodation for failure"? Sure, if someone wants to
package it for non-free, nothing stops a Debian developer from doing so.
However, there has been an ITP for years now, and so far, no Debian
developer has moved on it:

	http://bugs.debian.org/68122

So if you care about Squeak getting into Debian, I think the place to start
is to let the ITPer know how you feel by appending your comments to this
bug.  If there is sufficient interest in seeking Squeak enter Debian, then
perhaps Debian could render the Squeak developers some assistance finding
fonts to replace the Apple ones.  But we first need to know if the ITPer is
still interested in putting more work into this.  If the ITPer does not
intend to package Squeak anymore, this bug should be retitled to RFP so that
people will not get the impression it is in fact being worked on.

Also, you should merge your RFP bug (#149383) with this one, as it is
redundant.

Ben