Re: adding child account

On Mon, Sep 02, 2002 at 02:55:29PM -0700, Marvin Germain wrote:
> Hello.  I have gone through the quick start guide, and have a bunch of debian-jr packages installed.  The guide then says to have the sys admin (me) set up the child's account with adduser.  This is where I am getting lost.  Adduser only sets up normal (grown up) accounts.  How do I get a child account started with the debian-jr menus?
> Marvin Germain

Menus are still a work-in-progress.  You may or may not be aware that on
debian-devel we are discussing a complete rewrite of the menu system.
Indeed, the project to rewrite the menu system is well under way now.  By
the time we release sarge, we hope we will be able to have child-tailored
menus especially for Debian Jr.  In the meantime, a child's account is just
like an ordinary adult's account.  If you need custom menus that have just
what the child will use, you will need to hand-tailor them for now.  Have a
look at man menufile for some help on customizing ~/.menu for your child
accounts.  If you are stuck, or just want to discuss with us any ideas you
may have about the menu system, please drop us a note.

Ben