Re: Window managers (was: XFCE for Debian JR)

On Sun, Jan 14, 2001 at 08:16:53AM +0000, John Gay wrote:

> Yes, Gnome is already in the Debian archives. KDE is available from a special
> Debian-KDE site that can be easily added to your aptsource.list

Well, I think installing "Woody" is the way to go if you want to do this.
With the implementation of "package pools" it is possible now to have a
fairly stable system based on the latest material packaged by Debian.
Woody is the "testing" release which contains only material that has been
in "unstable" for at least two weeks *and* doesn't have a release critical
bug filed against it.  So you should expect fewer breakages following
woody than you would "unstable" (or "Sid" as it is called).

> , I just don't
> know where at the moment as I'm at a Windows box at work. I'll forward the URL
> from home later. KDE is still separate from Debian because it originally had to
> many licensing issues, but these have been worked out. It is available, I hear
> for woody, but I don't know enough to be that bleeding edge. the Debian-KDE team
> have KDE packages for Potato, which is where I am.

You don't have to know a lot to run Woody.  It's not quite as "bleeding
edge" as you think.  I would discourage running KDE with Potato because it
is not supported.  With Woody, if something goes wrong, you have the help
of the developers.  You can file a bug and it *will* get attention.

> I agree with the general idea that different packages work differently and make
> Linux appear more difficult, but I don't see how Gnome or KDE seem to improve
> this. As Ben says, lets keep the focus on entertaining/educational packages for
> the young and young at heart and let others take care of the rest of Debian.
> There are plenty of teams working on various ways to improve Debian and by
> picking and choosing between them, you can get everything you need.

Well, perhaps I overstated the case.  I didn't mean to say that Gnome/KDE
don't help with this situation at all.  Certainly they do.  But the subset
of problems that Gnome/KDE solve are better solved by those groups
themselves.  The core problems that we are trying to solve are going to be
there whether we include Gnome/KDE or not: a child-tailored installation
process, a usable menu structure, setting up accounts tailored for
children, including a broad spectrum of packages suitable for children.
Once we have worked those problems out to our satisfaction, we can broaden
out in the area of including these popular desktop environments.

Ben.