Re: A new project and a general question

On Thu, May 03, 2001 at 01:25:51PM +0200, Frederic Peters wrote:
> And now, what brings me here: I'm involved in the setup of a computer
> classroom in Brussels, Belgium for a primary school (children from 3
> to 12). What we have now is a network of about 20 diskless 486 that
> boots in X from a nicely powered server (running Debian of course).
> We setupped recently a project on sourceforge (named 'plume') to help
> other people deploy such a network.
>
> I now have to write an objective paper about our setup, how it works
> but also why we did it that way. One of my arguments is that this
> provided one computer per child instead of one per 4 or 5 children.
> I know I read somewhere a study saying basically that for an efficient
> educational use you needed at least one computer per 2 children.
> Does anybody here know about the references about such a study ?

You may want to contact the people on seul-edu mailing list.  Their web
page is at http://www.seul.org/edu/ .  First, they will definitely be
interested in your project, second, somebody there may be able to answer
your question.

--
Jan Hlavacek                                            (219) 434-7566
Department of Mathematics                             Jhlavacek@sf.edu