Re: leocad update

On Tue, 19 Sep 2000, Jimmy O'Regan wrote:

> On Tue, 19 Sep 2000, Pat Mahoney wrote:
>
> > Leonardo (leocad author) is going to propose a license for all ldraw parts
> > (the parts come from ldraw.org).  From reading the mailing-list archives
> > of the lugnet, it seems there was some discussion on this before.  The
> > thread kind of changes topic though, and there is no further info...
> >
> > Leonardo wants to release leocad under the Open Content License
                                               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Open Compatibility License

Not the same thing.

> > http://www.gizmodrome.com/ocl_1_0_text.htm.  I have asked about this at
> > debian-legal.  No response yet.  It is a "patchfile" license....sigh...but I
> > think it is DFSG free.
> No, it's not. It forbids sale. It's not intended for software anyway. If
> he wants to use a patch type license, point him in the direction of the
> QPL.

Jimmy, read thru the license.  I don't see that it forbids sale.

Anyway, Pat, let us know how your debian-legal inquiry goes.  My head
hurts looking at that license and "version 1.0" positively screams
"half-baked" at me. :)  Talking it over with some developers on irc,
we noted a number of inconsistencies, but I don't want to get into
them here, and besides, the good folks on debian-legal will probably
be quick to pick it apart with more skill than I ever could.

I agree with Jimmy that they probably should've just picked an already
established open source license instead.

Ben