Debian Jr. Little Big Picture

Hi. This list has finally entered my field of awareness and I've scanned
through the backmail, so I'll add two centicents[TM] worth.

My own kids are Gr. I and IV and I often wished for something like this,
particularly when they were younger, but also these days when they are
feeling the lure of MS Magic Schoolbus-ilk CDs (about which I could
easily fill 64K with ranting (:but won't:)).

Some introductory thoughts about the big picture:

    1. "Real" (nontech) parents' computer systems
    2.  Software (or at least an OS) that grows with the child
    3. Facilitating sibling and peer shared experience
    4. The "educational software" scam and user expectations
    5. What kids need for a real good GUI
    6. Multimedia underpinnings
    7. Open content edugame authoring env and load and go CDROM protocol
    8. School curriculum tracking and the subject tree
    9. Report and project writing and research
   10. Lighting those LEDs; simple hardware/robotics projects
   11. "SharingNG" : helping future linux/open dvls

So much for a top-of-my-head outline. I'm sure there're missing topics,
but this is my roadmap on a napkin.

Hello world. Glad to sign on to this list.

PS If you want to check out one parent's (reasonably successful) attempt
to innoculate his kids against the Pokepidemic, check out www.smoos.com.

--
http://www.zyqote.com/virtea * http://www.smoos.com *
http://www.cuff.com