Release Goals for Woody? The trouble with "zen".
- To: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cc: email@example.com
- Subject: Release Goals for Woody? The trouble with "zen".
- From: Ben Armstrong <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 17:55:47 -0400
- Message-id: <20001218175547.C17175@sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca>
- In-reply-to: <20001219083202.B32414@silly.cloud.net.au>; from email@example.com on Tue, Dec 19, 2000 at 08:32:02AM +1100
- References: <200012172109.eBHL9QP29169@linda.lfix.co.uk> <3A3D33A3.D3042A5A@Synopsys.COM> <20001218085622.A18188@A-Es2.uu.nl> <20001218200628.A30850@silly.cloud.net.au> <20001218132608.A27336@TGR.yi.org> <20001219083202.B32414@silly.cloud.net.au>
On Tue, Dec 19, 2000 at 08:32:02AM +1100, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> I'd like to know that we at least have some goals. We need SOMETHING
> to work towards.
That's true. I have trouble defining for Debian Jr. what our release
goals for Woody are. It goes something like this:
Start with the highest priority stuff and work our way through to the
lower priority stuff, hoping that all of the really essential
things, and maybe a few of the 'not-essential-but-still-cool' things
get in by the time Woody freezes.
Actually, I have a more detailed picture in mind as to what a "version 1"
of Debian Jr. will include, but I have no guarantee that this mental model
will be realized in Woody. Now, if I knew just roughly what the project
had in mind for Woody, I'd be a little clearer on where Debian Jr. fits
in. I still wouldn't have any guarantees, but at least I'd know what we
are shooting for. I'd like to say "Debian Jr. version 1 *must* contain A,
B and C, *should* contain X, Y and Z, and *may* contain Q, R and S." But
since Debian Jr. version one-point-oh's release is very much tied to
Woody's "zen" release, any such statement would be made on faith alone.
nSLUG http://www.nslug.ns.ca firstname.lastname@example.org
Debian http://www.debian.org email@example.com
[ pgp key fingerprint = 7F DA 09 4B BA 2C 0D E0 1B B1 31 ED C6 A9 39 4F ]
[ gpg key fingerprint = 395C F3A4 35D3 D247 1387 2D9E 5A94 F3CA 0B27 13C8 ]