Re: Programs for kids 10 - 18

On Sat, Dec 02, 2000 at 11:08:20PM +1100, James Buchanan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone know of any maths programs that teach algebra,
> geometry, trigonometry, matrices, functions & calculus, etc for
> Debian GNU/Linux?

I don't know.  You could ask SEUL/edu and then come back and see
if whatever they recommend is in Debian.  If it isn't, file a wishlist
bug and we'll try to find someone to package it.  Please see our
home page at http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-jr where you will
find a link to the SEUL/edu project.

> Is the Debian Junior project a separate
> distribution of Debian GNU/Linux altogether or is it an installation
> option of the Debain GNU/Linux?

Neither at this point.  But closer to the latter.  It will never be a
separate distribution. It is more a subset of packages within Debian and
some work on many of the "glue bits" of integration that will make Debian
as a whole more attractive to children.  People who install Debian Jr.
will likely be putting together a system for their own use and want to
have "something for the kids" on it too.  It has the potential to become a
complete install-time option so that you can install a "kids' system"
right off of a CD.  But that's quite a ways off, and not really even
the primary goal.  There's more about this in the goals listed on the
website.

Ben