Re: debian junior looking for help with menus

On Fri, 1 Dec 2000, joost witteveen wrote:

> Je 2000/11/27(1)/14:11, Sean 'Shaleh' Perry montris sian geniecon skribante:
> > Things like gimp being under a 'Coloring' section instead of graphics.  This is
> > more than translation because they would like have everything under the root
> > menu for easier access.
Does this mean changing the default menu stuff or having a debian-jr-menu?

> Actually I am not yet convinced it cannot be done with the current
> translation stuff, but... (Maybe you've thought about it more than
> I have, though).
>
> > There are other isssues.  There is hope that a rating of packages will occur
> > and the menu will only show packages under (or over) a certain rating.  So
> > Susie 4 year old can see a coloring program but not doom.
>
> That should be not too dificult. One package `debian-rating' could
> include a menu file, that has the violense and X-ratings of the
> various menu entries in them.
> One note of warning: I don't think the menu-code this will use
> is very much tested yet. But at least the infra structure is there.
I'd rather see this in a separate debian-jr file if at all. Like the
standard menu, with maybe a few extra fields, but stardard fields are
overridden by the debian-jr-menu (or whatever) for children, plus a
comment for any ``ratings''

?package(doom):\
jr-section="Games"\
title="Doom"\
pg-comment="Doom isa violent games and is perhaps not suitable for children"\
v-rating="9"\
x-rating="1"\
e-rating="4"\
e-area="ehc"

Where e-rating rates the educational value, and e-area is the area of
educational benefit a child can gain from the program (in this case,
eye-hand coordination)
Of course, this would imply having a similar menu structure for the
parent(s) who will maintain the menu. Maybe this'd be too much effort
though.
Basically, I'd rather see any ratings be recommendations, and not
enforced. Someone somewhere might have a map for Doom where you use nerf
guns and water pistols.

--
"The Information Superhighway made it possible for the average person
to find out what some nerd thinks about Star Trek"

http://lit.compsoc.com/
http://www.litsu.ie/

GPG Fingerprint: B6C4 9E2B C62F 1B05 FC0D  F543 6800 67C7 FF5D 8291