Linux Specialist Engineer (Debian and packaging system) - Bracknell, United Kingdom
Hitachi Data Systems Ltd. is offering a position as Linux Specialist Engineer,
working full time at his office in Bracknell, Berkshire.
• Own, improve, maintain and document our packaging system (developed
in-house), through which our main software gets delivered to customers
• Improve internal packaging systems and development scripts
• Become the focal point for other teams to discuss and understand the
complexities of interfacing with the Linux OS at all levels that they
• Own third-party software interaction between our systems and the Linux
OS (packages, configuration files, etc.)
• Propose, implement, test solutions and deliver results to our test
team in a timely manner
• Evaluate technologies that are requested by other internal teams
• Identify and evaluate Linux kernel patches
Skills - Mandatory
• Linux packaging - specifically Debian (administration, package
• Source code patch management (with some C skills)
• Unix shell scripting (bash, dash, sh) and strong Unix/POSIX knowledge
• UNIX 'text utils' knowledge ('sed', 'awk', 'grep', etc.)
• Build tool chain and makefiles (GNU Make, GNU tool chain in general)
Skills - Favorable
• Debian system administration (including dealing with individual
• Good knowledge of Unix signal handling, concurrency, race conditions,
atomic operations, file locking
• Some working knowledge of C++
• Linux kernel source knowledge + drivers
• Linux kernel building
• Knowledge of shared libraries, ABIs, package compatibility
• User/administration experience of BitKeeper, Git, or other distributed
• Interest in test automation
About the company
Hitachi Data Systems is a wholly- owned subsidiary of Hitachi Ltd
#63 in the 2013 Fortune 100 Best Places to Work.
#7 in the Best Companies for Leaders, 2013.
#4 in Best Places to work in the IT industry in Denmark, 2013.
* One of the top 3 storage vendors in the world
* Over 6,000 employees
* Recognized by the Ethisphere Institute as One of the World’s most
* ethical companies for 3rd year in a row - 2011, 2012, 2013.
* Conducts business in more than 100 countries and regions
* Our products, services and solutions are trusted by the world’s
* leading enterprises, including more than 70% of the Fortune 100 and
* more than 80% of the Fortune Global 100.
For the full job specification, please see:
You may send your application either via LinkedIn or by sending an
email to Natalia Santander <natalia DOT santander AT hds DOT com>,
including your resume.
***NOT open to recruitment agencies***
Alessio Treglia | www.alessiotreglia.com
Debian Developer | email@example.com
Ubuntu Core Developer | firstname.lastname@example.org
0416 0004 A827 6E40 BB98 90FB E8A4 8AE5 311D 765A