Job Number: 264-231
Location: US-CA-San Mateo
Cost Center: 264
If you use the Internet for anything – to check sports scores, book a hotel, track an order, or watch a movie trailer online – you've probably used Akamai's services without even knowing it. Akamai is the leader in powering rich media, dynamic transactions, and enterprise applications online. An S&P 500 and NASDAQ 100 company, Akamai has transformed the Internet into a more viable place to inform, entertain, interact, and collaborate for more than 2,000 enterprises. Akamai - Powering a Better Internet.
About the Team
The Site Acceleration Engineering group is responsible for Akamai's core caching and web server technology that runs on our network of over 40,000 servers located around the world. This software is used to deliver and accelerate entire web sites, web based applications, and download content such as software and media files from EdgeServers.
About the Job
This position belongs to the OS engineering function of the group; it is responsible for maintaining and enhancing the customized operating system on which the Edgeserver applications depend. Thus, the OS group is a customer/client of the kernel group; in turn, the Edgeserver applications team is a customer/client of the OS group.
We are looking to a Senior OS Software Engineer for the Runtime OS side of Akamai's Application Performance Services offering. This position involves supporting custom changes to the Operating System environment on our application servers: the Debian/Ubuntu archives provide the reference framework for the Operating System, to which Akamai-specific customizations are made to expose internals to applications, as well as to implement policy changes across the entire network of 40,000 servers.
You will be responsible for tracking, implementing and deploying various security related fixes to the Runtime/Operating System – this is NOT a kernel developer position. In addition, there are several dozen Akamai-specific components that need to be kept up to date, using the Debian Package Management toolset. The ideal candidate will be familiar with the Debian environment, as well as have significant experience debugging C/C++ build problems as they arise. The ideal candidate will have experience will large, complex distributed systems.
* Education: Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related field
* Overall Experience: 5-7 years or equivalent experience
* Excellent knowledge in with Debian and/or Ubuntu and the Debian Package Management toolset
* First rate knowledge of both C and C++.
* Familiar with glibc and its interface/interactions with Linux 2.6 kernel.
* Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
* Experience with the GNU GCC compiler family.
* Working knowledge of Perl, and shell scripting.
* The ideal candidate is goal-oriented, able to work on long-term projects without losing focus, and highly organized.
* Experience with XML, Python.
* Familiarity with core dump analysis and the GNU debugger.
* Is relocation available for this position: No
* Is US Citizenship required: No
* Is a Security Clearance Required: No
*** Candidates within US only.
Please send your resume to Dantam Vu, Senior Recruiter at firstname.lastname@example.org . You can also view the job online at https://jobs-akamai.icims.com/jobs/2962/job .