Programmer II at Frontier Communications
Frontier Communications is seeking a talented programmer to join its System
- Developing and modifying software to support Internet services
(e-mail, web sites, account/product provisioning, etc.) and the
machines and infrastructure that deliver them.
- Working with other groups and outside vendors to develop and
implement software and support new product launches.
- Evaluating and modifying Open Source software. This includes helping
to decide which Open Source software to use for new projects,
tracking upstream project development, source-level troubleshooting,
and patch writing/submission to upstream projects.
- Writing documentation covering processes, design decisions, and
- Mentoring and teaching your co-workers, and vice versa.
- Performing light to moderate systems administration (mostly basic
operating system maintenance, such as new installations and updates).
You should have:
- Working knowledge of at least two of: PHP, Python, Unix shell, C,
- A background using, developing, and adapting Open Source software.
- Great communication skills, both oral and written. You can target both
technical and non-technical audiences. You successfully persuade others
with your thoughtful, well researched arguments. You tell your teammates
and manager in advance about possible issues or needs.
- A strong attention to detail and ability to work in a fast-paced team.
languages and standards.
- Experience with automated testing frameworks and a desire to apply
them as much as possible.
- Working knowledge of Linux distributions such as Debian, Ubuntu, and
Red Hat. The majority of our machines run Debian or Ubuntu.
- The ability to keep a cool head and rapidly troubleshoot problems,
both proactively and in crisis situations.
It would be great if you:
- Can perform moderately involved MySQL database administration.
- Know about major Internet protocols, such as DNS, LDAP, SMTP, POP3,
IMAP, HTTP/HTTPS, RADIUS.
- Have experience in an Internet Service Provider (ISP) environment.
- 401(k) matching, bonus/profit sharing, health and vision benefits.
- Four weeks' annual paid time off that accrues from date of hire.
- Tuition reimbursement.
- Group discounts on wireless service, vehicles, computers, etc.
Publicly available blogs and/or past work are definite pluses.
Ideally, you would work in one of our major locations:
Rochester, NY (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rochester,_New_York),
Elk Grove, CA (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elk_Grove,_California), or
Wilkes-Barre, PA (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilkes-Barre),
but telecommuting may be an option for exceptionally strong US-based
To apply, submit a cover letter and resume (both in plain text, please):
John Morrissey _o /\ ---- __o
firstname.lastname@example.org _-< \_ / \ ---- < \,
www.horde.net/ __(_)/_(_)________/ \_______(_) /_(_)__