OpenJDK Zero interpreter: fast bytecodes

Hi debian-java maintainers,

Last year, I implemented the fast bytecodes feature in OpenJDK Zero interpreter [1]. It shipped with JDK 18, and I have recently backported it to 17u. This should land in 17.0.7 in April 2023.

I believe Debian runs with Zero on some architectures that do not have "server" ports. From the look at openjdk-17-jdk [2], I assume at least alpha, mips64el, mipsel, riscv64, sparc64, m68k, sh4 are running with Zero.

This feature should make the builds that involve OpenJDK -- for example, building Java packages -- considerably faster. On my RISC-V board, the 17u tests are routinely >10% faster, some tests are 50% faster.

But there might be new bugs, so I wanted to give you a heads-up about this. -XX:-RewriteBytecodes restores the original behavior, if needed. If there are even more serious problems, we can revert the backport completely. It would be nice to know about this before the 17.0.7 release crunch in late March, though.

Is there an easy way to check if e.g. bookworm can be fully re-built with latest and greatest 17.0.7 EA?

--
Thanks,
-Aleksey

[1] https://bugs.openjdk.org/browse/JDK-8008243