Re: Installing runnable Eclipse from Debian packages

Hi Gervase,

The Debian project doesn't provide packages to install the Eclipse IDE, this is a complex software and we don't have enough volunteers to maintain it properly. However we do package some of the libraries developed by the Eclipse project since they are used by other applications (for example Tomcat uses the Eclipse JDT compiler, BiglyBT uses Eclipse SWT). That's why there are several eclipse-platform-* packages, but that doesn't mean you can install the Eclipse IDE from them.

Emmanuel Bourg