RE: reply: Bazel Removal from Debian

Hello and thanks to everyone who offered advice and suggestions on this!

Using your suggestions and insights, I dug into the issue with some new ideas. I came to two conclusions:

1) There does not appear to be anything fundamentally broken with the bazel-bootstrap package...however...

2) The Java test problems are not trivial and not easily solved at this point in the release cycle. To a large extent, that's because this is a pretty old version of Bazel. We just barely ran out of time to upgrade to 5.0 before the freeze. I think that would fix this issue, and others.

The good news is that all Java dependencies of 5.0 were successfully updated in bookworm so my plan continues to be a backport of 5.0 into bookworm once that package looks good in unstable (after bookworm release).

Thanks again, everyone!

-Olek