Re: OpenJDK for Bookworm and beyond

Le 31/10/2022 à 19:54, Thorsten Glaser a écrit :

No, we really should not: the various JDKs also only provide
java<n>-runtime and this dependency is specifically meant to
also make it possible for software to use a JRE *other* than
the default (the dependency reads like
	default-jre (>= x) | javaX-runtime
by design/for a reason).

That should also be possible with the versioned virtual package:

    default-jre (>= 2:1.n) | java-runtime (>= n)

Given how they stretch across versions and how many releases
are supportable (ELTS from jessie on, *buntu from trusty on)
I will argue that if and only if the openjdk-X source packages
also start providing these _now_, that we can start switching
to the versioned java-runtime provide in 2030, maybe later.

I agree the sooner the openjdk-<n> packages provide java-runtime (= n) the better. But I don't see the need to wait a decade before using the versioned java-runtime dependency in the packaged applications, what issue do you foresee?

Emmanuel Bourg