Calling sbt inside d/rules

Hi,

the source of r-cran-epitweetr[1] contains a JAR and the corresponding
scala code.  I tried to sneak in a sbt call into debian/rules.  I tried
several different things to at least get sbt running but I always get:

java.io.IOException: No such file or directory
        at java.base/java.io.UnixFileSystem.createFileExclusively(Native Method)
        at java.base/java.io.File.createNewFile(File.java:1035)
        at xsbt.boot.Locks$.apply0(Locks.scala:34)
        at xsbt.boot.Locks$.apply(Locks.scala:28)
        at xsbt.boot.Launch.locked(Launch.scala:238)
        at xsbt.boot.Launch.app(Launch.scala:147)
        at xsbt.boot.Launch.app(Launch.scala:145)
        at xsbt.boot.Launch$.run(Launch.scala:102)
        at xsbt.boot.Launch$$anonfun$apply$1.apply(Launch.scala:35)
        at xsbt.boot.Launch$.launch(Launch.scala:117)
        at xsbt.boot.Launch$.apply(Launch.scala:18)
        at xsbt.boot.Boot$.runImpl(Boot.scala:41)
        at xsbt.boot.Boot$.main(Boot.scala:17)
        at xsbt.boot.Boot.main(Boot.scala)
Error during sbt execution: java.io.IOException: No such file or directory

The frustrating thing is that when beeing in the pbuilder environment
I can do

   # cd build/r-cran-epitweetr-0.1.28/java/
   /build/r-cran-epitweetr-0.1.28/java# sbt package
Getting org.scala-sbt sbt 0.13.13 ...
downloading file:/usr/share/maven-repo/org/scala-sbt/sbt/0.13.13/sbt-0.13.13.jar ...
        [SUCCESSFUL ] org.scala-sbt#sbt;0.13.13!sbt.jar (1ms)
downloading file:/usr/share/maven-repo/org/scala-sbt/main/debian/main-debian.jar ...
        [SUCCESSFUL ] org.scala-sbt#main;debian!main.jar (3ms)
downloading file:/usr/share/maven-repo/org/scala-sbt/actions/debian/actions-debian.jar ...

which will fail later.  But anyway, what is the reason that the call in
d/rules fails.  I tried several things like providing a HOME dir (some
web search made me think the reason might be a problem with writing to
HOME), explicitly calling bash (plan sh seems to cause issues with sbt -
but these are different), etc.  So before I can tackle the missing
dependency issues - please help with getting sbt starting at all.

Kind regards

        Andreas.

[1] https://salsa.debian.org/r-pkg-team/r-cran-epitweetr

--