Re: Usage of language specific profiles in build dependencies

Hi,

On 11-02-2021 10:16, Matthias Klose wrote:
> These dependencies should look like:
>
>   default-jdk [!hppa !hurd-i386 !kfreebsd-any]
>
> or
>
>   default-jdk [alpha amd64 arm64 armel armhf i386 ia64 m68k mips64el mipsel
> powerpc ppc64 ppc64el riscv64 s390x sh4 sparc64 x32]
>
> It's also ok to use something like
>
>   default-jdk [!hppa !hurd-i386 !kfreebsd-any] <!nojava>
>
> to be able to build with the nojava profile.  I also see this used in many mono
> related build dependencies.
>
> Having such build dependencies in a package that is a required package for
> almost everything isn't helpful.

Maybe a very stupid solution would be to have default-jdk be available
on all architectures, but just not pull in anything? IIUC that would
lead to build failures (because code that really needs the jdk will
FTBFS) but it avoids busywork for maintainers that are not involved in
bootstrapping java. Machine time is cheap, volunteer time is not.

Just my 2 cents.

Paul