Re: gs-collections vs eclipse-collections

Hi Vincent,

On Thu, Jan 07, 2021 at 01:56:41AM +0100, Vincent Prat wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> The latest version of NatTable (2.0.0) depends on Eclipse Collections
> (https://www.eclipse.org/collections/).
> Originally, it was called GS Collections, and was renamed when it
> migrated to the Eclipse Foundation.
> GS Collections is present in Debian (as gs-collections:
> https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/gs-collections), but not Eclipse Collections.
>
> Should we package Eclipse Collections as a separate project (in which
> case I will submit an ITP bug), or update and rename the existing package?
> For your information, the package gs-collections has no reverse
> dependency and has not been updated since September 2017.

I see either choice as acceptable, but my suggestion is to update
the existing package (and rename it only if you think it is necessary).
It is the evolution of (and thus an update to) gs-collections.  This
approach means you don't have to go through NEW, we don't have to
introduce a new package to archive, and developers who know the software
by gs-collections will still find it.  Even if there aren't r-deps in
Debian, perhaps a downstream is using gs-collections and will benefit
from the update without a rename.

If you decide to create a new source package for eclipse-collections,
please also take the time to RM gs-collections.  We don't need to keep
the old package around if we have a compatible replacement.  (I'm
assuming that eclipse-collections is a drop-in replacement, or nearly so
- maybe just a Java package name change?)

> Best wishes for the new year

Same to you!

Cheers,
tony