Re: Solr version

On 27/09/2020 00:23, Markus Koschany wrote:

> from my point of view we need to package at least
>
> hadoop-common-3.2.0.jar
> hadoop-annotations-3.2.0.jar
> hadoop-hdfs-client-3.2.0.jar
> hadoop-auth-3.2.0.jar

I did package hadoop 2.6 a few years ago if someone wants to continue
the work [1]. That was a naïve attempt to update the solr package, but
the size of the beast dissuaded me to upload it (and I had enough of my
plate at this time with the JDK upgrades).

> Why don't we just create more or less official (even though not really
> perfect) Debian packages for netbeans, eclipse, solr, hadoop, etc. by
> using tools like jdeb [1] for ant and maven projects or
> gradle-ospackage-plugin for gradle [2].

I fully share Markus' analysis. Packaging these huge projects isn't
viable without more regular, dedicated, contributors. For client side
applications such as Netbeans or Eclipse I tend to think the community
would be better served with flatpak packages (it would be nice to have a
pure Java toolchain generating these packages), and for complex server
side applications a .deb package simply generated by jdeb would be fine.

Emmanuel Bourg

[1] https://github.com/ebourg/hadoop-debian