Re: RFS : libcharts4j-java

On 26/07/2020 09:40, Pierre Gruet wrote:

> OK, so you are giving the general advice to never package javadoc?

Yes I recommend against packaging the Javadoc, for several reasons:
- the popcon stats for these packages are very low, indicating they are
rarely used. Online services such as javadoc.io are probably
contributing to this.
- javadoc changes are a recurrent source of issues when the default JDK
is upgraded. Since Java 8 the javadoc tool is more and more strict, we
had to fix some packages and even disable the syntax check at the JDK
level to avoid patching all the existing packages. The latest issue is
the introduction of a minimized version jquery in the generated files. I
think our time is better spent on more important issues.
- maven-debian-helper isn't very good at generating javadoc packages.
The dependency resolution is extremely slow, and the packages aren't
even properly interlinked.

Emmanuel Bourg