Re: [covid-19] Gradle help for nextflow needed

On Thu, Apr 30, 2020 at 01:10:34PM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
> For the moment I did this.  I delay the hint for the gradle dependencies
> given by Benedict in the other mail since for the moment I think I have
> spotted a real dependency that needs to be packaged:
>
> A problem occurred evaluating root project 'nextflow-prj'.
> > Could not resolve all files for configuration ':capsule'.
>    > Could not resolve io.nextflow:capsule:1.0.3.1.
>      Required by:
>          project : > project :my-capsule
>       > No cached version of io.nextflow:capsule:1.0.3.1 available for offline mode.
>       > No cached version of io.nextflow:capsule:1.0.3.1 available for offline mode.
>       > No cached version of io.nextflow:capsule:1.0.3.1 available for offline mode.
>       > No cached version of io.nextflow:capsule:1.0.3.1 available for offline mode.
>

> Seems https://github.com/nextflow-io/capsule is needed and I'll go on
> packaging this and will ask back in case of further trouble (which is
> quite likely :-( ).

Aaaargh, the description of capsule says:

    Capsule
    Dead-Simple Packaging and Deployment for JVM Applications

    Capsule is a packaging and deployment tool for JVM applications. A
    capsule is a single executable JAR that contains everything your
    application needs to run either in the form of embedded files or as
    declarative metadata. It can contain your JAR artifacts, your
    dependencies and resources, native libraries, the require JRE version,
    the JVM flags required to run the application well, Java or native
    agents and more. In short, a capsule is a self-contained JAR that knows
    everything there is to know about how to run your application the way
    it's meant to run.

    One way of thinking about a capsule is as a fat JAR on steroids (that
    also allows native libraries and never interferes with your
    dependencies) and a declarative startup script rolled into one; another,
    is to see it is as the deploy-time counterpart to your build tool. Just
    as a build tool manages your build, Capsule manages the launching of
    your application.

    But while plain capsules are cool and let you ship any JVM application
    -- no matter how complex -- as a single executable JAR, caplets make
    capsules even more powerful.

I wonder whether this fits into Debian packaging policy at all and
whether I need to avoid this in favour of packaging proper JARs?

Any opinions?

Kind regards

      Andreas.

--