Re: Questions regarding Kotlin, ITP and sponsorship of briar-headless

Hey Nico,

I would be interested to see Briar be in Debian. I think its only worthwhile to get it in as a real Debian package. You can start by working with the upstream kotlin/gradle binaries with versions that match what is aimed for Debian/bullseye. I think that's gradle 6.4.1. If you get the packaging working with the upstream gradle binary, it should work relatively easily with the eventual Debian binary.

The contrib script downloading a jar seems like wasted effort to me. For that approach, just make some generic Linux distro installer instead.

.hc

Nico Alt:
Hello all,

last week I published my Intent To Package Briar GTK for Debian
[0][1][2]. For those not knowing, Briar [3] is a p2p messaging system
that tries to connect to your contacts via various methods and thus
tries to work even when governments censor the internet.

Fortunately, I was already offered sponsorship for the Python-related
parts of Briar GTK (python3-briar-wrapper and briar-gtk). It will most
probably be maintained on behalf of Debian's Privacy Maintainers [4].

Now I'm looking for help with and sponsorship of briar-headless. Briar
Headless is the core library used by Briar GTK and is based on the same
code as the Briar Android app. It's written in Java and Kotlin and uses
a plain Gradle build system.
I was following the situation around Kotlin in Debian for the last few
months and I'm wondering whether we can get Briar GTK into Debian main
on time for Debian Bullseye.

The plan proposed by me in the ITP [2] is that briar-headless for now
goes into Debian contrib, being a simple package that distributes the
(hopefully reproducible) briar-headless.jar built by The Briar Project [5].

Since I'm new to Debian, my questions are:
* Is this plan applicable?
* Do briar-gtk and python3-briar-wrapper also need to go into Debian
contrib, if briar-headless is only available there? (Briar GTK starts up
normally even without briar-headless and users could potentially put
their own briar-headless.jar into _.local/share/java/_ [6])
* Is anyone on this list willing to sponsor briar-headless?

Thanks,

Nico

[0]: ITP briar-gtk -
[1]: ITP python3-briar-wrapper -
[2]: ITP briar-headless -
[3]: Briar project page - https://briarproject.org/
[4]: Privacy Maintainers on Debian Salsa -
https://salsa.debian.org/pkg-privacy-team
[5]: briar-headless.jar -
https://briarproject.org/jar/briar-headless-1.2.10.jar
[6]: Code in Briar GTK for briar-headless.jar -
https://code.briarproject.org/briar/briar-gtk/-/blob/b9c9caa8eeec7f2eb17cc9b2314d304aea757e6b/briar-gtk/briar_gtk/define.py#L36