Re: javac unaware of Antlr4 (was: Re: javac - error: package org.antlr.v4.runtime does not exist)

On Thu, Jul 09, 2020 at 02:24:25PM +0200, raphael.jolly@free.fr wrote:
> No, it is not supposed to set the classpath. This is a limitation of
> the Linux-Java integration. The main problem I think is that in Java
> you rarely depend on every library available at the same time. You
> want to partition things to avoid collisions.

Hm, this is something of a surprise to me.  I thought that Java's use of
reverse domain name (aka "reverse-DNS") notation for namespacing was
intended to avoid collisions, so that workarounds like having to
manually specify the classpath for each invocation would be unnecessary.

> I agree that it would be better if it worked as in the C/C++ world,
> that is, you install a library and it is made available automatically
> in the LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

Indeed.  But I thought that this was roughly how things were supposed to
work in the Java world too, at least when installing via the default
package manager in a sane distro (e.g. via apt in Debian).  Isn't that
what Debian packaging tools like javahelper are supposed to help
facilitate?  E.g. https://people.debian.org/~apo/java/tutorial.html

Or is it really *intended*, by Debian developers or package maintainers,
that Debian users who install the antlr4 package would have to manually
specify the classpath in order to run javac on Antlr4 .java files?

> As a matter of fact, I have developed my own Java desktop environment,
> just to be able to solve this problem. The idea is that everything
> runs in a single JVM. I am using maven central as software package
> repository/market. So, it operates sort of like Android, but with the
> standard JDK. Here it is if you are interested:
>
> https://github.com/rjolly/linoleum

Thanks for the heads-up.  That's an ambitious project and I wish you
luck with it, but I think it is probably overkill for my needs.