Re: javac unaware of Antlr4 (was: Re: javac - error: package org.antlr.v4.runtime does not exist)

On Thu, Jul 09, 2020 at 11:32:31AM +0100, Sam Kuper wrote:
> This raises a question, though.
>
> Since javac and Antlr4 were both installed via apt (see above), why was
> it necessary for me to manually set the CLASSPATH in order for javac to
> be able to find Antlr4's jars?  I.e. shouldn't apt (or the packages
> installed by apt) have configured things, during installation, so that
> such manual intervention would be unnecessary?
>
> If it should have done that, should I file a bug report?

My question above was not as precise as it should have been, sorry.
What I meant was: after having done

    $ mkdir /tmp/antlr-test
    $ cd $_
    $ wget --page-requisites --recursive --level=inf --convert-links \
    --no-parent \
    https://www.cs.cornell.edu/courses/cs4120/2013fa/handouts/antlr.html
    $ cd www.cs.cornell.edu/courses/cs4120/2013fa/handouts/xi
    $ antlr4 XiLexer.g4 XiParser.g4 -no-listener

why was it not sufficient for me to do

    $ javac Xi*.java

i.e. why was it instead necessary for me to do

     $ CLASSPATH='.'
     $ CLASSPATH+=':/usr/share/java/stringtemplate4.jar'
     $ CLASSPATH+=':/usr/share/java/antlr4.jar'
     $ CLASSPATH+=':/usr/share/java/antlr4-runtime.jar'
     $ CLASSPATH+=':/usr/share/java/antlr3-runtime.jar/'
     $ CLASSPATH+=':/usr/share/java/treelayout.jar"
     $ javac -cp "$CLASSPATH" Xi*.java

and does that necessity mean that there is a bug in the antlr4 package
on Stretch?

Thanks again,

Sam