Possible Bug in Maven Debian Helper

Hi everyone,

I've been having some problems with a tweaked build and, before reporting a bug, I wanted to see if anyone had any insights as to what is going wrong here.

So flogger [1] and bazel have a circular build dependency therefore upstream helped me to create an alternate Maven build for flogger (which normally only builds with Bazel). Essentially, I have some POM files that are created using a patch. However, this build always freezes up during dh_auto_configure requiring me to manually abort the build. Specifically, it freezes when executing the Java command at [2]. I've pored through the code but I can't figure out what's wrong. More to-the-point, I can't determine if there's some problem with my packaging (and patched build system) or if this is an underlying bug in MDH.

I appreciate any insights any of you can provide. Thanks!

-Olek

[1] https://salsa.debian.org/java-team/google-flogger/-/tree/olek-temp1
[2] https://salsa.debian.org/java-team/maven-repo-helper/-/blob/debian/1.9.4/src/main/bin/mh_patchpoms#L136