Progress in preparing the Bazel Build System for Debian (COVID-19 Biohackathon follow-up)

Fellow Developers, Maintainers, and Contributors,

This is a quick update on recent progress with packaging the Bazel Build
System [1] for Debian. My involvement grew out of an urgent need for
TensorFlow that was identified during the recent COVID-19 Biohackathon
[2]. Upstream has been very supportive of our efforts and we have had
many positive interactions with them.

However, we've now reached a point where we need more help in order to
get these important tools packaged in a timely manner. There are
currently 10 Java package dependencies that are not available in Debian.
These are:
google-api-client
google-auth
google-auto
checker-framework
diffutils
error-prone
google-flogger
grpc-java
opencensus
javax-annotation

We have more information available, including links to RFP bugs, on our
Workplan wiki [3]. If you have Java experience and are willing to assist
in this effort, even packaging one of these would be a great help. If
you also want to help with the main Bazel-packaging effort, please feel
free to join the team!

Stay safe out there!

-Olek

PS I am not subscribed to -science or -java

[1] https://bazel.build/
[2] https://salsa.debian.org/med-team/community/2020-covid19-hackathon
[3] https://salsa.debian.org/bazel-team/meta/-/wikis/Workplan-Part-1