Re: Status of sbt package

Hi,

On Fri, 9 Aug 2019 18:25:19 +0300, merkys@debian.org wrote:
> On 2019-08-08 17:48, Emmanuel Bourg wrote:
> > I don't think there is a repository yet. I've just created an empty one
> > on Salsa if that helps.
>
> Thanks - I'll push once I have something.

the point is that the current packaging of sbt, uses loads of embedded
binaries to bootstrap sbt, which is not very Vcs friendly.

Emmanuel tricked several sbt runtime dependencies to have them build
without those embedded binaries, which is great with only javac and
scalac because the build process is simple enough.

But for sbt, as far as I remember, you cannot just javac * and scalac *
(as for the other simple sbt- packages : see d/rules of
sbt-launcher-interface, sbt-serialization etc), because pieces of the
source code is generated during the build process and I didn't find
time to fake that source generation without the embedded sbt, with only
javac/scalac.

Currently, sbt in the archive is 0.13.13 and upstream seems to propose
1.3 .
So, is it more easy to try to build 1.3 from scratch or do we need to
pursue the effort on 0.13.13 to be able to then build 1.3 ... only
digging more can tell :)

F.