Re: maven-debian-helper and dh's --builddirectory option

Hi Markus,

On 14/09/2019 17:06, Markus Koschany wrote:
> Hi Lucas,
>
> Am 13.09.19 um 20:09 schrieb Lucas Kanashiro:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've recently started to package some java libraries (old versions for a
>> specific project, not suitable for the Debian archive) and I am facing
>> an issue when I am building a Maven based project using the dh's
>> --builddirectory option. When dh_auto_install is executed it calls
>> mh_resolve_dependencies inside the build directory, but it stops and
>> waits for user interaction (asking upstream version and so on), even if
>> it is called with --non-interactive option:
> Could you upload your package to Git or somewhere else where I can take
> a look at it?

There are some workarounds but I think you can have an idea (with this
version you can reproduce what I reported):
https://github.com/lucaskanashiro/yetus

> If you want to package a Maven based Java library, maven-debian-helper
> will automatically transform all versions of build-dependencies to the
> "debian" version. You can override this behavior with a
> debian/maven.rules file. The idea behind this is that we want to avoid
> build failures every time a reverse-dependency has been updated and the
> version changes. That also means all Java packages must work with one
> single library version since we usually don't package multiple versions
> of the same library. The --builddirectory option is not Java specific,
> not sure what you are trying to accomplish though.

I know it is not Java specific, that's why I used the term "dh's
--builddirectory option" :-)

The thing is that the Java library I want to package is in a
sub-directory (not in the upstream's root directory), I thought I could
use the --builddirectory option to accomplish that. Is there a better
alternative?

>> As a side note when I build the package with sbuild it does not get
>> stuck waiting for user interaction and the binaries are successfully
>> built but when I try to build it in a clean chroot using
>> dpkg-buildpackage it waits for user's answer.
>>
>> Thanks in advance for any help or tip!
> That should never happen. Something is horribly wrong. :) Please send me
> a link to your current packaging and I will take a look.

Thanks for taking a look Markus, there might have something wrong since
I am not a Java packager expert :-)

Cheers!

--
Lucas Kanashiro