Re: Mystery meat OpenJDK builds strike again

> On May 27, 2019, at 3:13 AM, Florian Weimer <fweimer@redhat.com> wrote:
>
> * Gil Tene:
>
>> root@020dc36b9046:/# java -version
>> openjdk version "1.8.0_212"
>> OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_212-8u212-b01-1~deb9u1-b01)
>> OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.212-b01, mixed mode)
>> root@020dc36b9046:/#
>
> I wonder if the core technical issue is this: Debian stretch currently
> packages OpenJDK 8 8u212-b01, when it should be packaging 8u212-b03 or
> 8u212-b04 (which one isn't clear, the release announcement
> <https://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/jdk8u-dev/2019-April/009115.html>
> was for 8u212-b03, not for 8u212-b04 or 8u212-ga).
>
> My understanding is that 8u212-b01 is a version identifier created by
> the jdk8u project, and based on a quick check, it matches what Debian
> identifies as its upstream sources (except for some stripping of system
> library components).  But it's not the most current release.

8u212-b01 is NOT an OpenJDK 8u release. Not in any form, current or otherwise.

Let's be very clear here since this is at the heart of these (misunderstandings?):
Releases are identified with tags. Tags are not releases.

"8u212-b01" was a tag (in mercurial) used during the active development
of 8u212, well before it was released. It in no way identifies an OpenJDK 8u
release, and has no "release with this tag exists" implications. An entire
month of additional code development and integration followed this tag
point, before an actual release was arrived at, declared, and tagged.

The 8u project tags source code at various points in time on the way to eventual
release, and has done so for many years. Tags are often chosen at arbitrary
points in time (e.g. they might appear weekly during a rampdown period).

See example of when tags are used in a weekly progression:
https://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/jdk8u-dev/2019-May/009309.html
https://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/jdk8u-dev/2019-May/009360.html
https://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/jdk8u-dev/2019-May/009388.html

8u212-b01 was used in e.g. https://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/jdk8u-dev/2019-March/008939.html
and nothing in the 8u-dev list attempted to indicate any sort of release
(not even an "EA" thing) at the time.