Re: cross-building OpenJDK and JNI bindings

Hi Matthias,

On Tue, Mar 26, 2019 at 04:08:48PM +0100, Matthias Klose wrote:
> According to http://crossqa.subdivi.de/src/openjdk-11 there is one missing issue
> to cross build OpenJDK itself (#925467, please make ant and ant-optional M-A:
> foreign).  Note that the Debian tracker gives this M-A as well.

This is not correct. Technically, dose-builddebcheck only yields one
issue at a time, which is why crossqa.subdivi.de (and buildd.debian.org)
only give one reason even though there may be more reasons.

There is a link to bootstrap.debian.net giving more details using
josch's botch-buildcheck-more-problems. This gives a more accurate
picture of dependency issues:

https://bootstrap.debian.net/cross_all/openjdk-11.html

> Looking further, we should make other build systems like gradle and groovy M-A:
> foreign as well, together with *all* their binary-indep dependencies.   And
> probably mark every binary-indep package as M-A: foreign ...

Blindly marking all build systems Multi-Arch: foreign is bad as that
tends to be false in surprising ways. A build system can have
architecture-dependent output and that often means that it shouldn't be
M-A:foreign. When it doesn't have architecture-dependent output, it
should never occur in Build-Depends and moved to Build-Depends-Indep
instead. In any case, M-A:foreign is not the silver bullet.

However, I'm happy to help with figuring out whether M-A:foreign is
appropriate. That tends to require a lot of multiarch-specific as well
as domain-specific knowledge. The number of developers that have both
tends to be small (or 0). Therefore, such tagging is usually resolved by
discussion.

> Time to add that to the java policy?  Maybe not now, but maybe for bullseye. But
> a fix for ant would be appreciated now.

Afaiui, lib*-java is in a similar role as python-* and lib*-perl. This
is the infamous multiarch interpreter problem and it's not magically
solved for java.

That said, I'm happy to help with resolving these issues.

Helmut