Re: Re: old version of scala

On 14.02.2019 11:55, Markus Koschany wrote:>

> What you can do of course is to patch sbt or scala. We use so-called
> quilt patches. For instance take a look at sbt. In debian/patches you
> can see several Debian specific patches that change the default Maven
> repository for example.

Thats what I had in mind.

Since you mentioned the sbt package, it contains builddeps directory that contains jar files. the main sbt script in release uses maven central as source of jars, but here it seems to be patched to use jars from within the deb package. Thorsten glaser, mentioned something about using experimental to bootstrap. Might that be what has happend here? used sbt to build an sbt jar that can be used inside the deb package?

I am not sure how to proceed here, cause there seems to be some restrictions that I cant get past. - Jdk8 is slated to be deleted in the next Debian release, but required by scala to compile a stable binary - I am having a hard time figuring out how to bootstrap the sbt build, without starting with code that is 10+ years old, for scala, sbt, jdk, ant and all their dependencies. (I could start off with using externaly built jar deps, as build tools only, in the package. But I gather thats not allowed.)
  - I assume these restriction applies to contrib as well?

I would love to get sbt and scala into debian, but it seems to me that waiting for jdk-11 compatability is the better solution, for both scala and sbt, even though that might take some time. (Ubuntu is an option though, they provide both jdk8 and 11 in Ubuntu 18.04 LTS.)

Regards

Thomas