javacc-maven-plugin, javacc, and the jtb update

Hi Debian Java,

I'm working on a package that depends on javacc via the
javacc-maven-plugin.  The toolchain is broken at runtime and there is
also a FTBFS bug for javacc-maven-plugin [0], both of which appear
related to the the upload of jtb 1.4.12 [1].

First, I'd like to politely ask why the new version of jtb without an
update to javacc-maven-plugin, when that's its only r-dep in the
archive. Is jtb used in some other context that required the new
version? Or maybe the jtb update is the first step in updating the
toolchain?

But primarily I'd like to know what efforts are in progress and how I
might help.  Do we need both new javacc and javacc-maven-plugin
versions?  Or can the existing versions be patched to work with the
newer jtb?  In addition to the jbibtex package I'm working on, the FTBFS
for javacc-maven-plugin is going to transitively affect a number of
other packages.

Thanks!
tony

[0] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=887785