Re: Re:OpenJDK default versions and security/patch updates

at bottom :-

On 06/11/2018, Behrooz Nobakht <nobeh5@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you all for the explanations. It quite clarifies what can be
> expected.
>
> There is still one open question from the explanations above. The next
> Debian
> LTS will default OpenJDK 11. Does this mean that it would not be possible
> to have
> OpenJDK 11 on the current Debian LTS in some way?
>
> Thanks,
> Behrooz

Dear Behrooz,

While there is backports

https://wiki.debian.org/Backports

which means in theory you could have OpenJDK 11 in stable but in
practical terms it may not be easy.

AFAIK the java-team is smallish and needs more active hands. There has
been lot of code removed from java and made into stand-alone packages
. Migration even now may/might be a pain in some corner cases which we
do not know about as well as scenarios from stable to current testing.

See https://salsa.debian.org/groups/java-team/-/group_members to see
the current make-up of the team. You could look at the number of
commits etc. to see who are more active and probably would have more
of a say as to what happens.

See https://wiki.debian.org/WhyDebianForDevelopers for a historical
perspective of why things are the way they are, specifically The
Social Contract

https://wiki.debian.org/WhyDebianForDevelopers#Social_Contract

See https://alioth-lists.debian.net/pipermail/pkg-java-maintainers/2018-November/thread.html
and especially the auto-removal of binaries in testing.

One way to keep track things is to use
https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/openjdk-11 . If you want you could open
a wishlist bug against openjdk11 saying you want in backports.

Realistically though, I see it as a longshot and the only window might
be during the long freeze but that is also IF there aren't any RC bugs
for openjdk-11

https://bugs.debian.org/release-critical/

One thing to keep in mind though, this is my personal opinion as a
user and observer of Debian-java-team and nothing more than that.

At the end the decisions are made by those who do the work.

<snipped>

--
          Regards,
          Shirish Agarwal  शिरीष अग्रवाल