Re: tomcat9 preview

Am 12.08.2018 um 03:45 schrieb Thorsten Glaser:

>> * The sysv init script has been removed and the service is now
>>   exclusively started with systemd. systemd brings so many
>
> Objection! Strong objection!
>
> I *will* file an RC bug if it won’t work without systemd!

May I suggest that we turn this objection into more positive energy.
Currently in Debian we have a default init system called systemd and I
doubt that anyone of those who regularly upload and maintain Java
packages still use sysv-init on their systems. We could keep all
sysv-init related scripts and stuff but only if someone steps up who
wants to test them in a real-life environment. Otherwise it is just more
maintenance burden if we want to support two init systems. This is
usually easier for smaller server/daemon packages but Tomcat is rather
complex and we had reports about security vulnerabilities in our
sysv-init scripts before, that could have been avoided if we had used
systemd before.

No objections against supporting two init systems but only if someone
maintains it, who is not Emmanuel Bourg.

>> * Tomcat is now automatically restarted if the JVM crashes
>>   (another systemd feature).
>
> Double objection: this existed pre-systemd, for those who
> wanted it, but it is not desirable in many cases.
>
> Please make this optional even for systemd users, so an
> admin who wants this can enable it, but do not default to
> it and especially do not force it on admins.

The restart feature of systemd is very useful. Emmanuel chose "on-abort"
which is triggered only by unclean signals. I would even use
"on-failure" which catches even more abnormal situations. Anyway the
canonical way to override systemd settings is to write a user specific
service file and install it into /etc/systemd/system which will then
override Debian's settings. The restart option is a good default. Those
who are not happy with it, can always override it.

Regards,

Markus