Re: OpenJDK 11 -- testing needed

Le 11/08/2018 à 09:37, Markus Koschany a écrit :
> I'm a bit lost what is needed to switch to OpenJDK 11.

Mostly JAX-WS at this point. I'm almost done, all the dependencies are
ready thanks to the FTP masters who have kindly validated the packages
during DebConf. I just have a last tricky Maven build issue to tackle
and it's ok (jaxws turns pom artifacts into jars during the build and it
confuses the dependency resolution of maven-debian-helper).

We'll also have to package the CORBA replacement but that's less
critical. I don't plan to work on this if someone wants to step up.

My next target will be Gradle 4.x because it's blocking OpenJFX 11 and
other packages which have been fixed upstream to work with Java 9+ but
require a more recent version of Gradle. We have to adapt
gradle-debian-helper to work with the new version. I plan to do that in
September.

> Maybe we should
> evaluate on a case-by-case basis what upstream projects intend to do
> before we start packaging removed functionality in separate packages. If
> it is not clear yet we can still use OpenJDK 8 for building the package.
> We just have to make sure it works with OpenJDK 11 at runtime.

Let's review what is left fixing after the switch to OpenJDK 11. I still
hope we'll be able to avoid including OpenJDK 8 in Buster.

> We shouldn't put ourselves under pressure when even upstream projects
> have not decided yet how they want to support OpenJDK 11.

I agree, but sometimes the decision will never be made, because the
project is no longer or barely maintained. And we can't keep OpenJDK 8
forever either. We are between the hammer and the anvil :(

Emmanuel Bourg